Saturday, January 4, 2014

Easy and Inexpensive Vegetable Soup (Meat Optional)

This soup has kind of been a trial and error dish developed over the last few months. Growing up my mom never used recipes, so every time I ask her how to make something I get the same answer "I don't know I use whatever I have," which for a long time I replied, "Mom, I keep trying but everything I make tastes like crap." Well I am starting to get the hang of it. I started out with just veggies, but decided to add some ground turkey for a heartier meal. Here's my basic vegetable soup recipe.

Vegetable Soup
  • Browned Ground Turkey (Optional)
  • 1 Can Corn
  • 1 Can Green Beens
  • 1/2 head of Cabbage Chopped up
  • 1 Large Can of Tomatoes
  • 1 Container Vegetable Stock
  • 3-6 chopped carrots
  • 1/2 onion chopped
  • Oregano to Taste (I use a LOT so I can cut down on salt)
  • Garlic (optional)
  • Salt and Pepper to taste
  • I rinse out all of the above cans with a little water and throw that in too.
  • Let it simmer for 45 min- 2 hours. Stir Occasionally.
This soup tastes amazing it is sweet and savory, and perfect on a warm winter night. Feel Free to experiment with other vegetables. I throw in whatever is in my fridge and needs eaten. One day I will try with all fresh vegetables, right now on a budget these are things I generally have at home. This is a very healthy and hearty soup this recipe as listed could feed a good sized family for under $10.00.

Please let me know what additions you make and how they turn out!

No comments:

Post a Comment