Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Corn and Potato Soup

I am going to call this poor girl's healthy(ish) corn chowder. This is another one of my creations that I love. Not long ago I bought a 10lb. bag of potatoes at Costco and this recipe is helping me use those up! I used to make potato soup like my mom does, a ham bone (yum) and lots of fat. When I was volunteering in Mexico in 2012 I couldn't find chicken stock to use in my soup but they have a wonderful thing I can only really describe as corn stock. I have yet to be able to find it here in the states, I have come close with corn soups, so here is my U.S. adaptation of that potato soup.

Corn & Potato Soup
  • 5-10 potatoes (Sometimes I peel them, sometimes I don't- always chop them up small)
  • 1-2 containers of chicken stock
  • 1-2 cans cream corn
  • 1 can corn (do NOT drain)
  • 1-2 Finely Chopped Carrots
  • 1/2 Onion
  • Salt & Pepper to taste
  • Butter to taste (optional)
  • Sometimes I throw in some garlic
  • If I have a ham bone, I usually use that too (cook the ham bone in the soup, after awhile cut off the ham and throw it in, also great to do for fresh green beans)
Stir it pretty frequently, let it simmer for an hour or so. Once the potatoes are cooked I mash them up a little but I like my soup pretty chunky. If you like a soupier soup (great word I just made up) add some water in too (I always rinse out my corn cans and throw the water in the soup for flavor). Soup it delicious and it freezes well!

No comments:

Post a Comment