Sunday, June 16, 2013

My First 5K - Girl's on The Run

Sometime in January my boss mentioned to me that Girl's on the Run, a great organization focused on empowering young girls and fighting childhood obesity, would be having a 5K in May. She went on and on about how it was low key, and so much fun. I was inspired and decided to sign up. At first I was really into it, I got a couch - 5K app on my phone, talked to friends who had done 5K's and was working out 3-5 times a week. As with many things in life my excitement faded and though I was still going to the gym I was lifting and using the elliptical instead of running. Then when I got busy I stopped going to the gym all together. About two weeks before my 5K it hit me, I'm running 3.2 miles very soon I need to get in shape! So I began running, until the week before, I rested and ate healthy...
 So the day of the 5K arrived (May 19th) I was well rested, I had my clothes laid out, I hadn't picked up my packet, I was told for this race that wasn't a big deal. I was running late, and literally sprinted to packet pick up - advice SHOW UP EARLY! There was about a 6 mile traffic jam to get to the race! I got my packet and went over to visit with my boss and the girls who run with Girl's on the Run at the school I work at. I started to stretch (not nearly enough), and got ready for the race.

The race started in waves, we were in the second to last wave, which was nice, thousands of elementary school girls, their parents, and teachers starting a race all at once would be a little overwhelming. A teacher at the school and I decided to at least start the race together, I started the race convinced I would do a combination of walking and running, and she planned on running the whole thing. To my amazement, I made it the first mile with her, talking a little and keeping up, then the second mile, to the two and a half mile mark, and to the end. Without her running with me I never would have been able to run the whole thing. We finished the 5K in 35 minutes, which I found absolutely amazing! After the race I was on cloud nine, I had ran the ENTIRE thing!

So my advice,
  • Prepare for the race! Run outdoors, be ready!
  • Run with a friend, or someone, anyone, it will help both of you!
  • Afterwards EAT SOMETHING - My suggestion is eat a banana, fights cramps and is great fuel for you!
  • Stretch - a lot- before AND after you race, and again before bed!
Before the Race


After the Race

No comments:

Post a Comment