Thursday, April 25, 2013

Easy and Delicious Taco Casserole

So I am a nanny (among other things) and I am lucky enough to cook for one of the families I nanny for. The mom is always finding me wonderful new recipes to make, this is one of them. I love Mexican food, at first I was a little skeptical about the sweet potatoes, and the taco casserole in general, however, let me tell you this recipe for Ground Turkey Taco Casserole is not only easy but so tastey! I recently moved and made it for my roommate and her boyfriend our first night in the apartment, they raved about it, and decided I need to cook often (what did I get myself into!). It also makes great leftovers!

Prep Time: About 10-15 minutes 
Cook Time: 25 minutes

Ingredients:

  •  Taco Meat
    •  Olive Oil (a few table spoons)
    • 1 Onion
    • 1 Sweet Potato
    • 1 lb. Ground Turkey (or beef, I use turkey because it's healthier)
    • 4-6 Cloves of Garlic (I like lots of garlic)
    • 2 tsp. Oregano
    • 2 tsp. Cumin
    • 1/4 c. No salt added tomato paste
    • 2 tsp. Paprika
    • Pinch of Cayenne Pepper (Optional, I don't love it)
    • 1 tsp. Salt
    • 1/2 tsp. Black Pepper
  • Salsa Layer
    • 1 (14.5 oz.) Can of Organic no salt added tomatoes
    • 1/4 tsp. Cayenne Pepper (Optional)
    • 1-3 Cloves of Garlic (Again, I love garlic)
    • 1/2 -1 C. Fresh chopped cilantro
  • Other Layers
    • Corn Tortillas
    • 1 (14.5 oz.) Can of Black Beans
    • 1-4 C. Shredded Mexican Blend Cheese (Or whatever you prefer, there are dairy free cheeses out there too!)
  • Optional Toppers
    • Greek Yogurt or Sour Cream
    • Avacado

Instructions:


  1.  Preheat Oven to 425 Degrees.
  2. Prepare a baking dish by lightly brushing with Olive Oil (8x8, 9x9 or lasagna pan).
  3. Dice Onion and cut sweet potato into small cubes. 
    Peel potato, slice, and cut into 1/2 inch (ish) cubes.
  4. Heat up Olive Oil in a saute pan.
  5. Add Sweet Potato and Onion to pan. Heat for 2-3 Minutes until onions become translucent.
  6. Add ground turkey, garlic, oregano, cumin, tomato paste, paprika, cayenne, salt, and pepper. Cook 7-10 minutes until meat is browned.
  7. Set taco meat aside.
  8. Chop cilantro.
  9. In a separate bowl combine tomatoes, cayenne pepper, garlic, and chopped cilantro.
    Mixture of tomatoes, Cayenne, garlic, and fresh cilantro.
  10. Set salsa layer aside. 
  11. Now the fun part creating the casserole. 
  12. Start by creating a bottom later with your corn tortillas.
  13. Sprinkle half of the taco meat evenly over tortilla layer. 
  14.  Next evenly distribute half of the salsa over the taco meat. 
  15. After that add half of the can of black beans (undrained) for your next layer.
     
  16. Repeat steps 12-15. 
  17. Sprinkle cheese over the top.
  18. Cover lightly with aluminum foil and bake for 15 minutes. 
  19. Remove foil and bake for another 10 minutes (I like to save the foil to store it, less waste).
  20. Let cool, and enjoy your yummy casserole!

No comments:

Post a Comment