Friday, March 1, 2013

Mexico, here I come!

For the last 9 years I have been traveling to Tijuana, Mexico for a week each winter to work alongside local families to build homes with a wonderful organization, Esperanza International. Last year I was lucky enough to spend three months in Tijuana as a long term volunteer. I have never had a more life changing or inspiring experience. Tomorrow I take off for San Diego, where I will be staying for a day or two and then I will be headed down to Tijuana until March 16th.

It is important to give back to your community and I do volunteer locally. This trip is always a nice step away from home, a good chance to take myself out of my comfort zone, out of my own "troubles" and get a perspective on the rest of the world and different ways of living, and hit reboot. I get as much out of this trip as I give, sometimes I feel a little selfish. It is always a reminder of the important things in life; friends, family, and community. I also see it as a reminder that in a cruel world there are still good things. The people I meet have very little materially but have so much warmth, love, and kindness. They are rich in the things that many people with so much more materially are completely bankrupt in. 

I will (probably) not be posting here during my time in Mexico, unless I learn something interesting to share that is relevant to this blog... such as...

Last year I learned that lime juice and salt together are not just great for margaritas but for sore throats as well!

If you would like to follow my trip and see what I am up to please check out:

My Esperanza Blog


Here are a few photos from past trips:
 The Beach at Rosarita, it is beautiful this time of year and there is a chance of seeing whales here as they migrate in March!

 Before we start building the families we work with make and tend to blocks to prepare for building. The families have to water the bricks so they do not dry too fast, this creates strong blocks and in turn a strong home.

 Our mixer, we pour every three - five layers of bricks depending on the home and the area it is in. In the background you can see completed walls. 

 Completed walls, they need to dry for a week or so before we can pour the ceiling. 

 Beautiful mountains just outside of Tijuana.

 Near downtown you can see the houses built up the mountains. Homes are built very quickly thousands popping up every week. Many are little more than ply wood, old tires and tarps.

The border between San Diego and Tijuana. We take a trip here to reflect and to see the ocean.

No comments:

Post a Comment