Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Delicious Kickstart Apple Cinnamon Morning Smoothie

So each morning I make a smoothie over the next few weeks I will post the different variations of smoothies that I make. I try to cram it full of foods, powders, and spices that will give me a healthy natural boost in the morning and will curb my hunger all morning! I try to have every food group present in my morning smoothies, especially fruits and veggies, because I have a hard time fitting them in on busy days!

Every day I use these ingredients in my smoothies:

  • Super Food Power (Cacao, Maca, Hemp seed powders)
  • Low Fat or Greek Vanilla Yogurt
  • Vanilla Almond Milk
  • Rainbow Chard/ Baby Spinach
  • Flaxseed
  • Cinnamon
  • Frozen Banana
  • Frozen Blueberries
  • Protein Powder
  • Honey
  • Vanilla

For the Apple Cinnamon Smoothie:

  • Half of an Apple (frozen or fresh)
  • Extra Cinnamon

Here's how I make my Smoothie: 

 1. The night before freeze; rainbow chard, blueberries, 1/2 - 1 banana, 1/2 apple
(If you put the chard on the bottom it is easier to break apart the frozen "clump" of fruits and veggies in the morning, this is especially helpful if, like me, you have a crappy blender)


2. Add 1-2 cups of vanilla yogurt. Greek yogurt is better for you and has more protein, I don't like the taste so I use light and fit or another low fat brand.



3. Add your frozen fruits and veggies.


4. Add dry ingredients to the smoothie, feel free to different ingredients depending on your own needs. Make sure you add the cinnamon for the flavor of this one though! I add a big table spoon of all of the ingredients except the ginger I add a pinch or two and the protein powder I add the powder's scoop (or two).

 5. Add a decent sized helping of vanilla for taste. I use all natural pure vanilla.
6. Add honey - I use 3-5 tablespoons. Honey makes the smoothie sweeter without raising your blood sugar. If you want to learn more about Honey read Suzy Homemaker's post on how amazing honey is for you!

 7. Add enough almond milk to get your desired consistency. I usually use vanilla flavored almond milk. You can also use coconut water/milk or soy milk. I avoid soy milk because too much soy can effect your hormone levels.

No comments:

Post a Comment